Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hector Explains Nei Kung



One thing I always loved about growing up around the Tyler Place—and later working there—was the wide range of different things you found yourself doing. One moment it might be teaching someone to water-ski; the next it was building a bonfire. It could be leading a bike trip or mixing up a mojito. Ask Chad or Q or Tasney or anyone else in the family and I bet there’s not much they haven’t done at the TP. I don’t know what their first gig at the Tyler Place was, but for me it was when "Mrs. T," our grandmother, ‘contracted’ me out as a cigarette-butt-picker-upper. Going rate for said job? 10 butts earned you a penny. Now, in health-conscious 2010 a 7 year old kid would be hard pressed to make even that first penny. But the late 70’s? Let’s just say I was able to make more than my share of candy runs up to Martin’s Store.


The past couple summers I’ve added another gig to the list. Nei Kung. For those of you who haven’t signed up for this Sunday morning workout, here’s a brief description to hopefully tempt you into joining me…


Nei Kung is a yoga-like workout consisting of 10 forms. Some you simply hold a pose; some you move slowly in a manner similar to Tai Chi. There are no weights and very little cardio, but the workout can be strenuous. By aligning your body in certain ways, it gets the chi, or energy, flowing and really gives the body a great kick start to the day. It addition to strengthening the body, it also can be meditative and leave you (after the hard work) with a general calm. For guys that haven’t done anything like this before, I know you may be a little dubious. But take it from a longtime basketball/baseball/football guy…it’s a great complement to other workouts.

Some of you would probably prefer your Sunday mornings sipping coffee and plowing into Chef Jeremy’s tasty breakfasts. Hey, I don’t blame you. But if you’re up for something new to start the week, drop on by. You can always make up for it at lunch…

2 comments:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. water sports lake

    ReplyDelete